Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/mtcalv/public_html/plugins/system/metagenerator/metagenerator.php on line 171

Our HistoryMt. Calvary Lutheran Church in Peoria is a mid-sized, family congregation rich in tradition and grounded in faith, love and hope.

Humble Beginnings

In 1931, the Walther League at Christ Church and the Central Illinois District Mission Board determined that Mt. Calvary’s neighborhood, then on the “North Side” of Peoria, would be an ideal place for a Sunday School mission. Within six months of the first classes held in a house on Gift Street, the original members of Mt. Calvary signed the congregational charter and were received into the Lutheran Church — Missouri Synod. Within a year, the congregation built a modest chapel at the corner of Broadway Street and Hanssler Place.

With guidance from the Rev. George Wittmer, they became independent of mission support from the District in 1939.

Growing in Christ

By 1940, the congregation purchased a parsonage for the new pastor and his family. By 1951, Mt. Calvary had grown to the point where they were able to build an additional section to be used as a sanctuary (today used as the fellowship hall).

Continuing the call from Christ, members established a day school in 1955 headed by Principal Walter Flachsbart. In 1959, Mt. Calvary joined with Trinity and Redeemer Lutheran Churches to build Concordia Lutheran School, a K-8 school on Glen Avenue.

A new phase of the building was completed in 1962, which included our current sanctuary and education rooms.

Spreading God’s Word

Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church continues to serve the growing need of Christians in our community in many ways, including:

  • Sunday school for children and adults
  • Confirmation classes
  • Mid-week Bible studies
  • Home-based, monthly Bible study/Fellowship groups

In addition to reaching out to its members through spiritual education, the Church celebrates Christ through music, and is blessed with:

  • A men’s singing group
  • A children’s choir
  • An adult choir
  • A bell choir
  • A Schantz pipe organ, dedicated in 1981

Mt. Calvary also supports our local residents by operating a food pantry open to individuals and families in need, and hosts the West Central Neighborhood Association meetings at the church.

We welcome visitors to experience the community, fellowship and acceptance that is Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church. May God bless you!


meet our pastor

worship

education

welcome message

our podcasts

concordia lutheran school